How I like to code

Monthly Archives: February 2011

Using regular expressions with Visual Studio

Today, I began using regular expressions to change a whole bunch of code. However, what I learned from using RegEx in TextMate was not the same as in Visual Studio. So, for example, the parenthesis around regular expressions to indicate a backreference in TextMate:     (\w+) is represented by curly braces in VS:     {\w+} And to […]

You’ve been locked out!

For some strange reason, my network account would be locked by the domain controllers on the network and I couldn’t authenticate using my credentials. My workstation authenticates either through an ActiveDirectory server or an OpenLDAP server and only recently, I’ve been having problems with Apple Mail asking me for my password over and over again […]

The iPhone development continues

I’m having the darn-est time with this UIPickerView thing. I created a table view that has 4 rows. Two of the rows bring up a custom picker view, one row is a toggle switch control and the last is a text field. The last two controls work fine, but the UIPickerView does not. What happens […]


I actually implemented a large if, else if statement on the Mac with no problems. Go to compile that same code in Visual C++ 2008 and…. BANG! VC doesn’t play that! Apparently, there is a limit as to how many control statements you can have. Go figure 🙁

Thanks again!

Thanks again to the same co-worker who showed me how to do a large search and replace in TextMate, he now gave me a new blog site worth reading:

Performing a large search and replace

Thanks to my co-worker for showing me this really cool trick in TextMate! I have this project I’m working on where I need to represent enum values as text for analysis purposes. The enum though is not set up to be easily iterated over (Dr. Dobbs) (James Kanze), so I added a stream operator to […]

Making sense of CrashReporter…

So, if I have a CrashReporter dump for a release application I am trying to troubleshoot, I found the following page very helpful: Essentially, I can take the crash report and find out what line of code the error occurred at. But, you have to have the source code in order to do this […]

I had to rename Windows

I had to rebuild my workstation, and alone with it, install a new hard drive that is to be used for testing. Now both drives have Windows 7 installed. When the installation for the second drive started up, all I saw was: Windows 7 Windows 7 as my boot options… Shoot! Which one do I […]

Killer bunnies

I thought this was a little far fetched when I read the description on, but the video was actually really good.

Hmmm… rebuilding my PC… again

I love how stable the PC is… especially when I need to use it most… I’m rebuilding my Windows 7 workstation… again… and this time, I’m cloning my disk… maybe in the hopes that I can restore from an image next time I have a situation like this.